From everyone here at the agency, we want to wish you are yours a Happy Thanksgiving! We hope you are able to safely celebrate this holiday with your family and friends.
To kick off the Thanksgiving activities, here are some Thanksgiving Fun Facts.
- The annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade tradition began in the 1920s.
- Abraham Lincoln issued a ‘Thanksgiving Proclamation’ on October 3rd, 1863, and set aside the last Thursday of November as the national day for Thanksgiving.
- The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 pounds, about the size of a large dog.
- The most popular ways to serve leftover turkey are as a sandwich, in a stew, soup, or casserole.
- Turkey has more protein than chicken or beef.
- Congress passed a law on December 26, 1941, ensuring that all Americans would celebrate a unified Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of November every year.
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird of the United States.
Please keep in mind while celebrating that the office will be closed on Thanksgiving Day to reopen Friday, November 26th.