Every year we celebrate Groundhog Day on February 2nd. Here are a few fun facts about the cute little furry animal.
- The average groundhog is 20 inches long and 12-15 pounds.
- Groundhogs are covered with coarse grayish fur tipped with brown or dull red.
- They have short ears, short legs, and a short tail.
- Groundhogs eat green veggies, fruit, and need very little water due to their diet.
- Groundhogs whistle when they are alarmed or courting.
- Groundhogs are one of the few animals that hibernate.
- Groundhog babies are born mid-April to early May and go out on their own by July.
- Groundhog litters are usually 4-9 babies called pups, cubs, and kits.
- A groundhog’s lifespan is usually 6-8 years.
- It is believed that if a groundhog sees his shadow and retreats to his den, there will be 6 more weeks of winter.
Happy Groundhogs Day!
Published with permission from BGI Systems. Source.