As we are in the middle of the summer, and while my family and I are excited and looking forward to spending more time outdoors, I can think of a group even more eager for it… mosquitoes. Those dreaded pests are one of the most annoying parts of summer, especially in the part of the country where we live.
When the weather starts warming up, we need to always keep repellant on hand when we head outdoors, but there are a few other things we can do to help us avoid being chow for mosquitoes.
Prevent mosquitoes from ruining your summer by following these simple tips:
- Eliminate any standing water – mosquitoes use it as a breeding ground. Check your yard to make sure there is no standing water in flowerpots, discarded tires, etc.
- If you have a birdbath, change the water in it at least once a week.
- Clear debris from rain gutters regularly.
- Trim any overgrown hedges and remove tall weeds – mosquitoes also like to breed there.
- Check your window screens to ensure they don’t have any holes that mosquitoes could sneak in through and repair screens if necessary.
- Avoid things mosquitoes are attracted to like fruity and flowery fragrances, sweat, and dark clothing.
- Avoid being outside during dawn and dusk, the time when mosquitoes are out most. If you do go outdoors during these times, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants.
Use these tips to keep one of the worst summertime pests from ruining your outdoor fun!